May 29, 2013

Happy New Year!

Okay, okay, it has been a while.  Life just gets in the way doesn't it?  We've had a busy year and a bit trying to figure out a life/work/family balance that works for us.  I'm happy to say we have finally got it figured out!  Although it still has its challenges it feels nice to know we can just go with it for a while and not look at other options.  I will get into that a bit more details later but basically, I hope to post more regularly again soon.  June is a bit of a busy month as I am in training for another half marathon but over the next few months, I should be able to bring the blog back!

The dogs

I thought I would start with the dogs because, well, they tend to get forgotten!  Bogey and Lorelei are definitely getting older.  The funny thing with the boxer breed is that they seem like puppies forever and then, you look over and see a bit more grey hairs and a little less bounce in their step.  Don't get me wrong, if you come for a visit they will still greet you like they have never seen a human being before but they sleep a bit more and don't jump as quick when you open the front door.  We always joke when we find life a handful we would just open our backyard gate and let them join the coyotes.  Well, twice now our gate has been left open for one reason or another and they just hung out in the backyard or waited patiently at the front door until we figured it out.  They are still incredible with the kids and take a lot of tail chasing and 'cuddles'.

Kayden

Well, our first born turned 5 years old and all of a sudden he changed drastically!  He's gotten so tall, definitely has his Dad's build and talks to us about what's going on in his head.  He's very excited about the Fall because he gets to start Kindergarten.  We have decided to put him in French Immersion and he is also taking the bus so it's an exciting year ahead!  This winter Kayden took skating lessons and now he is in soccer so he's keeping busy and loving it.  His favorite topics these days are all about the solar system.  I get a lot of questions about how fast the Earth spins and why don't I feel dizzy?  I definitely enjoy this phase but must admit that all of my science and nature knowledge must have gotten shoved out of my brain to fit in all the baby information.  So, I am re-learning a whole bunch of things I have lost and enjoying that too!

Isabelle

Oh Isabelle, what can I say about this little one.  She is most definitely in her terrible twos which adds a whole other dynamic to our lives!  We are also trying to potty train and well, mixed with the terrible twos it isn't going as smoothly as we would like! She is a little comedian and loves to make people laugh.  She talks to everyone and often asks people questions like, do you like my shirt?  Having a girl is so different than a boy it's eye opening.  I can often overhear her in a corner talking to her feet or two objects as she invents a story with a Mom and a Dad and a baby.  She loooves to dance and has some pretty interesting moves already in her repertoire.  She adds a lot to our family and we most definitely feel complete with her in our lives.  Her and Kayden are in a sibling rivalry stage but I see glimpses of that passing and hope the fall brings a whole new side to their relationship.

Chad

Chad is working hard at a building downtown.  He's loving being an Electrician and will take pictures of his work because he's just so proud.  I'm so thankful we decided a career change had to happen and we did it!  He is also enjoying this phase in life with the kids as it is a lot easier to understand their wants and needs when they just tell you.  He's starting to run a bit now as he decided to join Terri, Darin and I as we run the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Las Vegas in November.  I don't imagine it will take long for his legs to figure it all out so I'm trying to keep my jokes about all of it to a minimum!  I'm pretty sure his legs are twice as long as mine so even if he runs 'slow' he'll run faster than me!

Michelle

Well, I have finally figured out a job that I can do and still be a mom a whole lot of the time!  I left Bellstar, and joined Westside Rec. Centre as a customer service representative then a shift supervisor.  I then left Westside this April and have taken on Human Resource work from home for Darin's company (Darin is Terri's boyfriend for my family that may wonder about this new name!).  I'm so thankful for this opportunity and although I'm still figuring out how to make this all work, I definitely see it working and am just in the midst of making new habits.  It takes 21 days to form a new habit right?  This new job allows me the opportunity to be around for the kids and for Chad.  I've recently stopped eating Wheat as I had a pain in my side for the past two years and couldn't figure out what it was.  My doctor suggested removing wheat as she suspected my intestines were swollen.  Well, ever since I've done that I've been pain free and it has done a lot for my energy level and ability to focus.  All that to say, I make pretty much all of our food from scratch now and am learning how to bake with new flours and being home more allows me the freedom to do that.  We are all benefitting from it!

That gives you a quick glimpse of what has been happening in our lives but definitely doesn't capture the last year and a bit!  I'm hoping to post a group of pictures that will help with that.

No comments: